Pemulen™ TR-1 - Description
Polymeric emulsifiers are high molecular weight copolymers of acrylic acid and C10-C30 alkyl acrylate crosslinked with allyl pentaerythritol. These pharmaceutical excipients provide effective emulsification properties to form stable oil-in-water emulsions. Polymer excipients contain both hydrophilic and hydrophobic portions and serve as excellent gel forming polymers, creating a network around suspended oil droplets and providing exceptional emulsion stability, often without the need for additional surfactants.
These pharmaceutical excipient emulsifiers are ideal for use in topical drug delivery, transdermal drug delivery, and other mucosal applications, such as ophthalmic drug delivery. These polymers help create low irritancy creams and lotions, providing optimal aesthetics, feel, and drug penetration into the membrane, as well as efficacious, non-irritating emulsion eye drops. Pemulen acrylic acid polymer excipients also provide viscosity building and high yield value to allow for suspension and stabilization of insoluble particulates. Recommended use level is 0.2 to 0.4 wt% for topical emulsions.
More information about Pemulen™ TR-1
- Allows for cold or hot processing enabling flexible processing requirements
- Can emulsify up to 20% oil by weight within the pH range of 3.0 - 11.0
- Can emulsify up to 30% oil by weight within the pH range of 4.0 - 5.5
- Enables formulation of water-resistant oil-in-water emulsions because formulations do not require the use of surfactants
- Enhanced sensory properties - light, refreshing and light residue
- No HLB calculation required when formulating