PHENOSET® microspheres are small, individual, hollow spheres of phenolic resin that are lightweight and mechanically strong. Reddish-brown in appearance, they are primarily used as hollow functional filler.
- Weight Reduction - The low density of PHENOSET® microspheres helps to reduce the weight of the finished product.
- Machinability and Sandability - PHENOSET® microspheres have excellent compatibility with resins. When used in syntactic foams, PHENOSET® microspheres make it easy to machine with clean and precise edge cuts.
- Superior Compatability with Resins - PHENOSET® microspheres can form excellent chemical bonds with organic base resins such as epoxy, polyester, polyurethane and others to produce a composite with very good physical properties. No coupling agents are required to achieve bonding of the PHENOSET® microspheres and resin matrix.
- Improved Surface Properties - The inherent bonding of the spheres with the base resin prevents the filler from scarring or popping from the surface of the composite. Hence, PHENOSET® microspheres can contribute to the outstanding smoothness of composites.
- Strength to Density Ratio - PHENOSET® microspheres, although lightweight, have comparatively high mechanical strength.
- Improved Flowabilitiy - PHENOSET® microspheres, being spherical, roll easily over one another. This helps improve the flowability of the matrix to which they are added.
- Low Viscosity for High Loading - The spherical shape of PHENOSET® microspheres gives lower resin viscosity when compared to equivalent loading of other irregular-shaped fillers.
- Good FST Properties - PHENOSET® microspheres can char without emission of toxic fumes and with low emission of smoke. Used in aerospace applications, the PHENOSET® microspheres can contribute good FST properties as required.
- Ablative Property - PHENOSET® microspheres, being phenolic and hollow in nature, acts as a sacrificial media to protect and insulate structures subjected to extreme thermal environment. They absorb heat, burn off without smoke and remove heat from the structure.