Sodium starch glycolate (SSG) is a superdisintegrant suitable for a variety of tablet and capsule formulations. In higher concentrations, it can act as a dissolution enhancing agent. Highly effective when used intra- and extra-granularly in wet and dry granulated formulations. The botanic source and degrees of cross-linking and substitution have been optimized to give rapid water uptake without formation of a viscous gel that may impede water penetration. Sodium starch glycolate is gluten-free.
- Takes up more than 20 times its own weight of water
- Rapid water penetration into the tablets
- Powerful swelling results in rapid disintegration
- Most effective in non-soluble matrices
- Low pH for pH sensitive drugs