Dynasylan GLYMO is a bifunctional organosilane possessing a reactive organic epoxide and hydrolysable methoxysilyl groups.
The dual nature of its reactivity allows Dynasylan GLYMO to bind chemically to both inorganic materials (e.g. glass, metals, fillers) and organic polymers (e.g. thermosets, thermoplastics, elastomers), thus functioning as an adhesion promoter, crosslinking agent and/or surface modifier.
Dynasylan GLYMO is a colorless low-viscosity liquid with a slight turpentine-like odor. It is soluble in alcohols, ketones and aliphatic or aromatic hydrocarbons.
Important product effects that can be achieved through the use of Dynasylan GLYMO include:
- Improved mechanical properties, such as flexural strength, tensile strength, impact strength, and modulus of elasticity.
- Improved moisture and corrosion resistance
- Improved electrical properties, for example dielectric constant, volume resistivity
Dynasylan GLYMO can also improve such processing properties as:
- Filler dispersion
- Rheological behavior (i.e. viscosity reduction) Newtonian behavior
- Increased filler loading
- Glass fiber/glass fabric composites: as a finish or a size ingredient
- Foundry resins: as an additive to polyurethane resins
- Sealants and adhesives: as a primer or additive
- Mineral filled composites: for pretreatment of fillers and pigments or as an additive to the polymer
- Paints and coatings: as an additive and as a primer for improving adhesion to the substrate, especially glass and metal
- Improved shelf life over aminosilanes in polyurethanes